This 3 hour practical session is designed to get you used to using basic nav skills which will give you the confidence to explore new routes and pathless terrain.
A map, compass and an enthusiasm for learning how to use them is all you need to get the most from this session, which will use exercises to help you get more from your time, outdoors.
By the end of the morning, expect to have made progress with the following:
- Reading a map, and being able to relate it to the terrain around you, and vice-versa
- How to 'tick off' features and use attack points
- Determining your location...good proof and bad proof
- Using a compass for a bearing and measurement of distances
- Pacing for distance and estimated timings to cover ground
- Learn about the importance of contours, and how to interpret them on the map
The course is led by George Manley, OutFit Member and experienced Mountain Guide.
Navigation for Walkers & Runners
OutFit Member Entry
We shall gather in the large parking area beside the A494, just outside the village of Llanferres, between Ruthin and Mold, for a 9.30am start.